I love lemon and I love lemon drizzle cake. When I was gifted this recipe for Lemon Bars I had to try it. So last weekend I took out the mixing bowl and got to work.
When I do get baking, I like to use easy-to-follow recipes and items that are already in the cupboard.
For the base:
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup of butter (for a healthy option, make sure the butter is unsalted or substitute coconut oil)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
For the healthy lemon filling:
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/3 cup of fresh lemon juice (use organic lemon for that extra burst)
- 2 tablespoons of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease a tin with coconut oil or olive oil spray – so handy for greasing cake tins.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, butter and maple syrup/honey.
- Spoon the flour, butter and maple syrup/honey mixture into the prepared baking tin. Flatten the mixture down with the back of the spoon. Cover the dish in a thin layer of the mixture.
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes and let it cool for ten minutes. Make sure to bake the base first and it’ll turn into a mess if the filling is poured in over the unbaked base.
- Combine all of the lemon filling ingredients into a bowl and mix until you get a smooth texture. Make sure there’s no lumps.
- Pour the lemon filling over the cooled base and spread evenly. Lightly shake the tin to eliminate any air bubbles.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool. Cut into squares, sprinkle the powered sugar over them, and enjoy!
These are so easy to make – even I can do it! Give them a try because you won’t be sorry.